We are proud to say our awesome BAIT SAVER CIRCLE HOOKS are considered “inline” or "non-offset" and meet the requirements of the new Maryland law regarding circle hooks. Please check out this link to a recent article by Captain Brian Mayer of Marauder Charters written about Bait Saver Hooks in Fish Talk Magazine regarding this issue and how he uses Bait Saver Circle Hooks for trolling.
(June magazine). https://www.fishtalkmag.com/blog/how-live-line-circle-hooks
Maryland.gov - Department of Natural Resources - New Regulations regarding Circle Hooks
What is a non-offset circle hook?
- Non-offset circle hooks are generally defined as a hook with the point turned perpendicularly back to the shank.
Benefits and techniques when using circle hooks
- Circle hooks have been used successfully with both dead and live baits for many species.
- Circle hooks are used with what anglers call a "dead stick" or still rod in a holder - anglers do not pull back hard on the fishing rod to set the hook, it is more of a finesse technique.
- Circle hooks have shown to reduce deep hooking of fish while J-hooks have a tendency to deep hook fish and puncture organs, which results in mortality.
- Circle hooks can greatly increase the survivability of striped bass after catch and release due to shorter de-hooking times and reduction of deep hooking.
- The general function of circle hooks is to hook fish in the corner of the mouth, resulting in less injuries to the fish and easier unhooking - this is already documented in department studies and in other states.
Circle hooks are designed to hook fish in the corner of the mouth which makes the fish easier to release.
Regulations involving Hooks, Bait and Striped Bass
An emergency regulation involving hooks, bait and striped bass was approved by the state. The regulation goes into effect on May 16, 2018 and ends Oct. 12, 2018. Here are the specifics:
- Area covered by emergency regulation - Maryland's portion of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
- Anglers must use non-offset circle hooks when live-lining or chumming.
- Anglers must use non-offset circle hooks or "J" hooks when using fish, crabs or worms as bait or when using processed baits while not live-lining or chumming (treble hooks are prohibited).
- The minimum size for striped bass is 19 inches
A proposed regulation to keep these temporary regulations effective through 2018 and 2019 is already in progress. The department is accepting public comment on these regulatory changes through May 29, 2018, and has also scheduled a hearing. The hearing will be will be held at 6 p.m. May 17, 2018, at the Annapolis Friends Meeting House located at 351 Dubois Road, Annapolis, Maryland 21401. Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request.
Please visit our Changes to Fishing Regulations page and click on HOOKS, BAIT, STRIPED BASS — May 16 through Dec. 15 for detailed information about the hearing and to submit comments.
ORDER your BAIT SAVER HOOKS today at baitsaverhooks.com.
Catfishing with chicken livers as bait is pretty much a sure fire way to catch nice catfish. The trouble is keeping the chicken liver on the hook. Not any longer. Bait Saver Hooks will even securely hold a chicken liver! Our buddy, Damon with Black Warrior Lures did a recent review of our hooks using [...]
Carp fishing is a favorite for many anglers especially those who carp fish competitively. Dough balls, bread balls and boilies are common carp baits but are very difficult to keep on a hook. That's where BAIT SAVER FISH HOOKS shine. They hold all difficult baits with no chance of casting your bait off.We personally like [...]
If you like to jug fish for catfish, we have the GREATEST new product ever! Introducing the Bait Saver Jug Fishing Reel (patent pending). No more messy lines all over the boat and exposed hooks that can hurt you. With the Bait Saver Jug Fishing Reel, you just pick up your jug with our reel [...]
Folks, the fish are biting and a great way to catch them is by adding a Bait Saver Hook to your favorite lure and adding a worm, cricket, minnow, or whatever you like. The Bait Saver hook will hold the bait on no matter how hard you sling it. It's a killer combo! [...]
Our buddy, Tim, caught these beauties using a #5 Bait Saver circle hook and cut bream for bait. These big cats were no match for the Bait Saver!
We are so excited to offer our customers an "End of Summer" discount of $1.00 off per pack of hooks (2 hooks per pack). Please take advantage of this limited time offer and let your fishing buddies know about it as well. No coupon code is required. The prices under the "Fishing Hooks" tab reflect the discounted price. We [...]
Welcome and thank you for visiting BaitSaverHooks.com.We are happy to announce that we have recently updated our website to include a news and announcement Blog so be sure and visit often for updates and great informative posts about our favorite hobby - catching lots of fish with Bait Saver Hooks.Be sure and visit (and Like) [...]